Share this article

BitMart CEO Says Stolen Private Key Behind $196M Hack

The crypto exchange’s CEO said the company will compensate affected users out of its own funds.

Updated May 11, 2023, 6:32 p.m. Published Dec 6, 2021, 7:33 a.m. 1 min read
(ETA+/Unsplash)

Hackers were able to drain $196 million of crypto from crypto exchange BitMart by stealing a private key that opened two hot wallets, BitMart CEO Sheldon Xia tweeted on Monday.

  • Hackers stole $100 million worth of various cryptocurrencies on the Ethereum blockchain and $96 million on Binance Smart Chain, crypto security firm PeckShield revealed on Dec. 5.
  • BitMart has completed an initial security check and identified affected assets, and it plans to compensate users out of its own pocket, Xia said.
  • The exchange will announce a timetable to gradually continue deposits and withdrawals, he said, adding that he is “confident” they will resume on Dec. 7.
  • The hackers used decentralized exchange aggregator 1inch to swap stolen tokens for ether, and deposited ether funds to privacy mixer Tornado Cash to hide their identities, PeckShield said.
  • A $139 million hack of BXH Exchange in October was also the result of leaked administrator’s keys.

Read more: Crypto Exchange Bitmart Hacked With Losses Estimated at $196M

More For You

(Getty Images)

What began earlier this week as shock over more exits of core figures has now evolved into something more existential, according to some community members.

What to know:

  • Days after several high-profile Ethereum Foundation departures, the EF still has not publicly explained the exits, fueling growing frustration and speculation across the Ethereum community about leadership, strategy and internal culture.
  • Prominent voices, including Dankrad Feist and Laura Shin, say Ethereum’s problems stem from the Foundation prioritizing ideology over competitiveness,...