Share this article

BitForex Website Goes Dark Amid Reported $57M Outflow

The exchange's CEO stepped down in January.

Updated Mar 8, 2024, 10:07 p.m. Published Feb 26, 2024, 12:28 p.m. 1 min read
The BitForex website has gone dark. (Kris/Pixabay)
  • Users trying to access the site are met with a page that says: "Sorry, you have been blocked."
  • Last year BitForex was flagged by Japanese regulators for operating without a license.

Cryptocurrency exchange BitForex has gone offline after $57 million was reportedly withdrawn from the exchange's hot wallets on Feb. 23.

Blockchain sleuth ZachXBT said that withdrawals have stopped processing and the BitForex team is unresponsive to user requests.

When trying to access the BitForex website, users are met with a page that says: "Sorry, you have been blocked."

BitForex owns 18% of the total supply of tellor , worth $54 million. It remains unclear whether a hacker has infiltrated BitForex's hot wallets or whether the team has voluntarily halted withdrawals.

In January former CEO Jason Luo said he would be stepping down after six years at the company, according to a blog post.

The official BitForex account on X has not posted any updates since Feb. 21.

In 2019, a Chainalysis report claimed that BitForex could have been faking trading volume. Last year it was flagged by Japanese regulators for operating without a license.

More For You

Amar Kuchinad, Copper's global CEO (Copper)

Cantor Fitzgerald has been appointed to help with the sale, according to sources.

What to know:

  • The crypto custody firm is weighing a $500 million sale, according to sources.
  • The jewel in Copper’s crown is the ClearLoop in-custody settlement system, which caters to dozens of institutional firms.
  • Copper closed its enterprise custody business in 2023 to focus on ClearLoop