Share this article

Japan's High Court Rejects Former Mt Gox CEO's Conviction Appeal

Mark Karpeles said he is reviewing the verdict with his legal team.

Updated Sep 14, 2021, 8:51 a.m. Published Jun 12, 2020, 2:25 p.m.
Mark Karpeles, former Mt. Gox CEO
Mark Karpeles, former Mt. Gox CEO

The former CEO of Mt. Gox – the bitcoin exchange at the center of one of the most notorious hacks in crypto – has had his conviction upheld by Japan's high court.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW
Don't miss another story.Subscribe to the State of Crypto Newsletter today. See all newsletters

On Thursday, Tokyo's the court threw out an appeal from Mark Karpeles, who had been found guilty last year for manipulating electronic data, upholding the original conviction and sentence of two and a half years in prison, suspended for four years.

Karpeles was originally arrested in August 2015, roughly 18 months after an unknown hacker made off with more than 850,000 bitcoins from Mt. Gox. At the time the amount was valued in the hundreds of millions, but would be worth more than $8 billion, today. Around 15% was later recovered and now constitutes the Mt. Gox estate, which is still being fought over by the exchange's creditors.

See also: Mt. Gox Deadline Extended Again After Creditors Criticize Refund Proposal

Prosecutors had originally accused Karpeles of embezzling user funds, breach of trust and manipulating electronic data, and demanded he serve 10 years in prison. The Tokyo District Court found him innocent on the first two counts, but guilty on manipulating electronic data in order to harm his clients.

The legal team representing Karpeles, which has always claimed he is innocent of all charges, contend that prosecutors didn't know how crypto exchanges operated and were merely using him as a fall guy.

“Today’s verdict was unfortunate, and I am reviewing its contents alongside my lawyers and will decide how to proceed from there in the coming days,” Karpeles said following the ruling, in a report from the Associated Press.

More For You

More For You

CFTC's Selig opens legal dispute against states getting in way of prediction markets

U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission Chairman Mike Selig (Jesse Hamilton/CoinDesk)

Commodity Futures Trading Commission Chairman Mike Selig fired a legal warning shot defending his agency's jurisdiction over the event contract space.

What to know:

  • U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission Chairman Mike Selig directed his agency to file an amicus brief declaring his federal agency has authority over the U.S. prediction markets.
  • Though the CFTC once fought a legal resistance against such firms as Polymarket and Kalshi, the agency has embraced them during the administration of President Donald Trump, whose son has worked as a paid adviser for the leading companies.
  • As Selig defends his agency's jurisdiction in court, he's also pursuing new prediction markets rules for the U.S.