Share this article

Block.one Pays $27.5M to Settle Class-Action Lawsuit

The court-approved $27.5 million settlement closes the lawsuit, Block.one announced.

Updated Sep 14, 2021, 1:10 p.m. Published Jun 11, 2021, 9:14 p.m. 1 min read
Block.one CEO Brendan Blumer speaks at the Voice launch event, June 2019.

Block.one settled a class-action lawsuit filed by the Crypto Assets Opportunity Fund (CAOF) related to the company’s recording-setting $4 billion token sale in 2018.

  • The court-approved $27.5 million settlement closes the lawsuit, Block.one announced Friday.
  • Block.one called the suit "without merit" in a blog post but said the settlement would allow it "to focus more time and energy on running our business."
  • Block.one previously settled with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission for $24 million over the alleged unregistered securities sale.
  • Block.one raised the whopping sum at the peak of the crypto market's last bull run to build the software that powers the EOS blockchain.
  • The CAOF argued that Block.one had purposefully misled investors and artificially inflated its eos token price during its yearlong initial coin offering (ICO), which ended in 2018.
  • The ICO sold approximately one billion tokens with 90% to ICO participants and the remainder to Block.one team members.

Read more: Block.one Failed to Decentralize EOS, Argues New Securities Fraud Lawsuit

More For You

Tom Lee, chairman of Bitmine and cofounder of Fundstrat, speaking at Consensus 2026 in Miami (CoinDesk)

Fundstrat’s Tom Lee argues that trillions in new IPO supply from SpaceX, Anthropic, and OpenAI could ultimately be absorbed by underallocated investors.

What to know:

  • SpaceX, OpenAI, and Anthropic are all reportedly looking to IPO in the U.S. market.
  • Tom Lee estimates the three IPOs could create trillions in post lock-up supply, equivalent to 5% to 6% of the S&P 500’s market capitalization.
  • Lee says Wall Street sees tokenisation as a major opportunity because blockchain...