Share this article

Crypto Wallet Provider Phantom Says Its Systems Were Not Compromised in $4M Hack

After a nearly week-long investigation, its team found no vulnerabilities that could explain the exploit.

Updated May 11, 2023, 5:40 p.m. Published Aug 10, 2022, 12:22 p.m. 1 min read
(fizkes/Getty Images/iStockphoto)

Solana-based wallet provider Phantom said its systems were not compromised in the exploit where hackers drained around $4 million from over 9,000 wallets.

Phantom tweeted on Tuesday that after a nearly week-long investigation, its team found no vulnerabilities that could explain the exploit. The wallet provider added that it has been independently audited by Halborn Security and OtterSec. The auditing firms have, so far, not found any issues that could explain the incident.

"While some Phantom users were affected, in each case we have reviewed, we found that they had imported their seed phrases/private keys to or from a non-Phantom wallet," Phantom added.

The attack, which started on Aug. 3, affected numerous hot wallet (wallets which stay connected to the internet at all times) providers, such as Slope and TrustWallet, as well as Phantom.

At the time, the Solana network's engineers said that Slope wallets had been compromised, which Slope confirmed but did not say whether the private key storage practices were involved. Phantom added that it had reason to believe "complications related to importing accounts to and from Slope" was the starting point of the attack.

Read more: Solana DeFi Protocol Crema Loses $8.8M in Exploit

More For You

Amar Kuchinad, Copper's global CEO (Copper)

Cantor Fitzgerald has been appointed to help with the sale, according to sources.

What to know:

  • The crypto custody firm is weighing a $500 million sale, according to sources.
  • The jewel in Copper’s crown is the ClearLoop in-custody settlement system, which caters to dozens of institutional firms.
  • Copper closed its enterprise custody business in 2023 to focus on ClearLoop